People who cannot read or write are named "illiterate".

Does a word exist to qualify someone in the same position but about using a computer or a web application?

This term would be really usefull to qualify an important population requiering specific attention from us to ease the access of our applications.

PS: A neologism for "computer illiterate" would be perfect. (Something based on "iwebitracy", "incomputracy", ...)

PS2: There is no jugement about this "population" (read it as the statistical term) which we all come from; "incomputracy" or illiteracy are not a disease or a deficiency. They are only a lack of practice and experience. They both result in a blocking issue for people trying to reach new strata of our universe: job, knowledge, etc. We have a word for the analogic word (illiteracy). Why is there no word for the digital world?

  • 1
    Have you thought about just using the term 'novice'?
    – Brendon
    Jan 31, 2013 at 19:58
  • No, because I think it does not match entierly the definition. :)
    – Toto
    Jan 31, 2013 at 20:08
  • 3
    Back in my day we just called them "noobs". Jan 31, 2013 at 21:52
  • 3
    . . . . . "mom"
    – wim
    Feb 1, 2013 at 0:39
  • 2
    Seemed like I'm reading english.SE
    – user13107
    Feb 1, 2013 at 6:30

5 Answers 5


The general term I've heard is "computer illiterate"

  • That's exactly this. But does a neologism exist for that?
    – Toto
    Jan 31, 2013 at 20:08

Novice users comes to mind, but you can also use terms like non-tech savvy, computer illiterate, or just new computer user. But this doesn't specify the level they are at.

For situations like this I would create a persona that more fully represents the demographic that you want to refer to, and then refer to that persona instead of trying to name a category.

Assuming your persona was named Mary:
"Would Mary find this easy to use?" is more useful than "Would a computer illiterate person find this easy to use?"

  • 2
    +1 This is a really good term, since illiterate would be going too far. These users can read and write, so they are not illiterate per se. Web Illiteracy: How Much Is Your Fault? Jan 31, 2013 at 20:06
  • I think it is important to have a neologism/word to qualify a "computer illiterate". It is not pejorative but a reality especially when dealing with mainstream web applications.
    – Toto
    Jan 31, 2013 at 20:12
  • @Toto How do you define that level? Even in reading, illiterate doesn't mean that you can't read at all, just that your level is below a set minimum. So what would the minimum level be?
    – JohnGB
    Jan 31, 2013 at 20:28
  • The real question is how we name someone who does not know how to use a computer or who does not know how to use the web at all? Speaking about were we set the level for "iwebitracy" or "incomputracy" would be a debate and against SE terms. ;)
    – Toto
    Jan 31, 2013 at 20:52
  • 1
    "Novice User" is the best term. It is important to remember that users are multi-dimensional; they may not be experts on computers, but they are good at other tasks. You have to focus on the person first, then the technology.
    – Kevin G
    Jan 31, 2013 at 21:28

A luddite is described by Urban Dictionary as

One who fears technology (or new technology, as they seem pleased with how things currently are...why can't everything just be the same?)

  • 1
    "The Luddites were 19th-century English textile artisans who violently protested against the machinery introduced during the Industrial Revolution that made it possible to replace them with less-skilled, low-wage labourers, leaving them without work. - Luddite on Wikipedia Jan 31, 2013 at 22:38
  • 1
    Yes, and it is frequently used in IT circles as a term for those who can't or won't adapt to new technology. Normally politicians. Jan 31, 2013 at 22:39
  • 4
    It seems to me a luddite have an intent or opinion about the technology. One who is positive towards new technology (say computers) could still be a total novice. I'm not saying it isn't frequently used, just that there could be a better word for it. Jan 31, 2013 at 22:44

Neophyte is similar to @GrahamBorland's answer in that the official definitions don't really give it justice:

  1. a beginner or novice: He's a neophyte at chess.
  2. Roman Catholic Church . a novice.
  3. a person newly converted to a belief, as a heathen, heretic, or nonbeliever; proselyte.
  4. Primitive Church. a person newly baptized.

The way it's almost always used in my experience, a neophyte is like a newbie in that they don't know something, but different in that they want to learn.

It has the bonus of sounding all hackery to someone whose only such knowledge is CSI.


In Dutch we have the word 'digibeet', in analogy with 'analfabeet', e.g. the English analphabetic.

I guess 'digibetic' would be the English version, and would perhaps be a good word for this. However, for now computer illiterate as mentioned in the other answers would be the best term.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.