We're adding a global "Add new X" button to our application (it will show a CRUD form for an activity, the fundamental "thing" in our app). We want it to be clickable from anywhere in the application and easily discoverable for first-time users.
Where should we put it? Our web app has a persistant top bar with our logo and a left-aligned sidebar that contains our high-level navigation.
- On the top bar, to the right of the logo
- On the top bar, on the far right
- In the sidebar, above the main nav
- In the sidebar, below the main nav
- In the sidebar, at the very bottom
- Other suggestions?
I've seen each of these options in various places around the web (the app Flow uses #1 for "Add task", Gmail uses #3 for "Compose email", etc...).
Which placement is best? Are there examples of applications that do this particularly well?