I'm creating a website were users can post tutorials. They can follow other people, so they can get their feed.
Right now there are two fields:
I'm not very sure whether to add a
tag or a
category field. And I wonder if users then will act as some sort of sub-category; different users will write something more specific than a category, (e.g. I may find in the Programming category someone who writes Rails tutorials, and decide to follow him).
I think this is how Twitter works? (I'm not very sure).
Some pro and cons that I can think of:
- It forces users to select a organized set of categories.
- Having categories and subcategories is cleaner than having a bunch of tags (at least in my opinion).
- I have to create them myself (I would like the site to be as community-driven as possible).
- Any user can create a tag.
- They are not restricted to a set of categories.
- I can't sub-categorize them (less organized)
- There may be duplicate tags
What is the best way to go in this case?