I'm keen to determine the an absolute list of fundamental metrics to gather for Data Driven design.
I realise this can be a somewhat broad subject given the differing types of sites and web apps out there, but for arguments sake lets base this on a content based website / blog, producing regular content - Where content is the key aspect of the site.
Based upon my own experiences (together with research), I have put together a small list of my own, but I'm sure there are some key elements that I have missed.
- What web browsers are most commonly used to view site content?
- What percentage of traffic to the site does so from a mobile device?
- What are the most common browser window dimensions?
- What are the Common areas of homepage interest? (Content positioning etc)
- How does the user proceed to content from the homepage?
- How long does it take a user to begin reading an article?
- Does the user finish reading the article?
- Does the user proceed past the article? (i.e To view/participate in post comments)
- Does the user progress onto further recommended articles?
- Does the user share content upon Social networks? If so, which?
What Metrics should be added to the list? Are there any that just aren't necessary?