I have attached an image which explains which element I am talking about. I am trying to find out it's proper name.

Can anyone help me please?

enter image description here


3 Answers 3


"Handle". However, it's usually prefixed by its intended use: "drag handle", "resize handle", "scroll handle", etc.

Example image

(From left to right: scroll handle, rotate handle, resize handle, sort handle.)


Im don't think there is an official term for these. Use of the word "Drag" definitely makes sense but I dont know if "handle" is the right description either as it is visually nothing like a handle.

I have also used and heard "Grip" or "Grip Bars"... Maybe we can coin a new term, What about "Drag Grip"?

  • 2
    "Grip" is the most logical thing to me. It's a skeuomorphic element that (should) indicate draggability, when you have a real thing you're supposed to grab like that it's called a grip.
    – Ben Brocka
    Sep 13, 2012 at 12:10

When you say "sliding", do you mean dragging? If so, I would call that a "grab handle".

  • is that the proper name? I couldn't find any similar images by searching "gui grab handle"/"graphical grab handle"/"iphone grab handle" in google. Sep 12, 2012 at 14:52
  • Microsoft tends to refer to it as a "resize handle", when used in the context of resizing a window. "Handle" is certainly the usual term whenever dragging is involved. It probably wouldn't be appropriate for activating something with a click though.
    – Matt Obee
    Sep 12, 2012 at 15:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.