The upper right of the following page has a block labelled "How to Format". What's the formal name for this element in GUI design?

enter image description here

  • 1
    Are you referring to the heading itself (circled) or the entire section including the heading and the block below it? – Virtuosi Media Aug 30 '12 at 15:10
  • It might also be worth adding a starting point with common options, so that the user isn't presented with an empty screen. Nice example here: ui-patterns.com/patterns/BlankSlate – Steve Jones Aug 8 '15 at 13:18

I would call it an Inline Help Box which can take many forms and shapes. Take a look at UI Patterns: Inline Help Box, where they explain the following:

Use to gently introduce functionality to the new and untrained user.

...which is exactly what "How to format" in your screenshot is meant to do.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.