I am building a control which is a table containing other controls (text boxes and dropdown lists) where the user can add/remove rows to the table. I am unsure of what to name this control and am wondering if there is a standrad name for such a thing. Here is an (un-stylized) example:


The columns in the control can very, but every row will always have the same controls for each instance of this control. In the example shown, the control is for choosing data sources and giving the sources labels. In every instance of this control, each row will have a "remove" button, and the user will be able to add new rows.

Right now my code calls this an AddRemoveTableControl, which is horrid. What is the proper name for such a control?

  • 1
    We call it an inline editor since you're adding/editing things all inline. We use this terminology when relating to any sort of control that lets you add/remove/edit multiple items at a time.
    – Ben
    Commented Jul 12, 2012 at 19:52
  • Sorry, is this in regards to the name of the control presented in the UI or just the name of the control within the code?
    – Tom R
    Commented Jul 12, 2012 at 20:25
  • This is the name of the control in the code @TomR
    – Josh
    Commented Jul 12, 2012 at 20:40

3 Answers 3


How about a "RowCollection" control?

This is an array of rows

  • we can force an additional row to the end, initialized to defaults
  • we can remove a row based on positional notation
  • So the underlying mechanic is an array of one or more columns
  • each record in the array is one row, consisting of one or more columns

So it's technically a rowcollection

  • 1
    I love this! It fits my need very well.
    – Josh
    Commented Jul 12, 2012 at 19:44

Microsoft Excel and Google Docs call this "Insert/Delete Row."

So, you might call it insertRow and deleteRow.

  • This is a single control, so should I call it an InsertDeleteRowControl?
    – Josh
    Commented Jul 12, 2012 at 17:44
  • 1
    No, this is two controls that appear together on one panel.
    – jcolebrand
    Commented Jul 12, 2012 at 19:28
  • Yeah, sorry, I think I misunderstood the question.
    – Taj Moore
    Commented Jul 12, 2012 at 20:29

It's a customization dialogue (you can call it Customize). MS Outlook has a window called Field Chooser, which seems to me like a good name.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.