What's the proper name for a layout like this, in which a column expands when mouse enters it: http://www.lucagiorcelli.it/test/volunia/

May be called "reactive layout"?

2 Answers 2


I would refer to this as another example of Progressive Disclosure.

As a side note, this article is a great resource for using proper indicators for hidden elements such as is the case with progressive disclosure.


As mentioned by GotDibbs, this is an example of Progressive Disclosure. Although you are also partially correct in saying that it is a reactive layout. It's just that 'reactive layout' usually refers to the layout of the website changing on the fly to accommodate a smaller or larger area or screen size as apposed to the user interacting with individual elements.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.