Some days it seems every member of my team calls each control by a different name. Is there a good resource, preferably with images, for what the official name of each control type is? I found a few things but they mostly deal with more confusing controls; I'm looking for something like the difference between a "button", a "menu", and a "tab".

We're working with a .NET application, so Windows-specific terminology would be applicable here.

  • I too am looking for a truly visual reference, though the Microsoft glossary is quite useful. Will keep my eye on this thread while I keep searching for one with visual examples alongside definitions. Good question!!
    – user15957
    Jun 27, 2012 at 20:51
  • Have you seen this? msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb328626.aspx
    – user15957
    Jun 27, 2012 at 20:53
  • @PetitHibou72 You mean the same link that's in the accepted answer? Yes, I have :) Jun 28, 2012 at 12:21
  • Perhaps the title should be changed to "Is there a visual glossary of Windows or .NET UI Controls?".
    – zzzzBov
    Jun 28, 2012 at 15:55
  • @zzzzBov Adjusted, though I would have accepted something more generic as well. I didn't originally think about the fact that controls go by different names on different OS's Jun 28, 2012 at 16:19

3 Answers 3


Sure, here is Microsoft's gallery: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn688966.aspx

  • 2
    Aha, thanks! I was only finding text descriptions in my own search. Mar 20, 2012 at 13:54
  • 4
    Sometimes answers get accepted far too quickly after the question has been posted, but I think in this case it's spot on. You couldn't get a better answer than this.
    – JonW
    Mar 20, 2012 at 13:58

You can also find here for all big company's UI guidelines:



You can also refer to this link,


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.