To save the co-workers and the clients from confusion a common language to describe the elements of the web site is a good idea I think. I've seen a couple of design pattern sites but I wonder if someone could point me to a dictionary somewhere in the world wide web that describes common elements such as primary navigation, header, footer, utility menus snipplets etc etc.

  • I think pattern libraries are a good start. In the end, your organization needs to have their own set of terms since there really aren't universal standards.
    – DA01
    Commented Jan 18, 2012 at 17:03
  • @TonyBolero: If we've answered your question, you can select the best solution so that if anyone comes across the same problem in the future, they know the course of action.
    – dnbrv
    Commented Feb 7, 2012 at 18:38

1 Answer 1


I couldn't find one that had everything. I found 4 that in combination should cover the majority of web design jargon.

Web Design Glossary by University of Minnesota Duluth
Web Design Glossary from About.com
The Motive Web Design Glossary
Glossary of Graphic Design and Web Page Design Terms by Grantastic Designs (some terms are illustrated)

  • Thanks but even I would be seriously interested IF it is essentially a glossary of design ELEMENTS alone.
    – Kris
    Commented Jan 19, 2012 at 7:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.