I'm trying to clean up notifications for a client site and was wondering if the notification pattern that Stack Exchange employs has a name that I can use to search for more examples.



6 Answers 6


The terms I see the most are "message bar", "notify bar" and "notification bar".

There are tons of examples with Google using the terms above. Below are a few.

'Notify Bar' plugin

Top Floating message box using jQuery

jQuery: How to show a message bar at the top of browser window


Within Google, we call it a Butter Bar, to disambiguate it from all the other types of notifications that might also be shown on a page.

  • 5
    are you referring to the full width notification bars like here at SE, or the shorter butter-coloured bars which are overlaid top-centre of the page?
    – Erics
    Commented Oct 7, 2011 at 4:56

I just found a good page from Chromium project about this UI element. They call it infobar and have there quite nice guidelines, rationale and examples: http://www.chromium.org/user-experience/infobars


IE calls it "information bar".


As Rahul mentioned, this is called the "flash" in Ruby on Rails, CakePHP, Yii, Lithium and TYPO3 at least.


It's called banner in material design: https://material.io/design/components/banners.html

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.