What is the name of the chart in which bars are concatenated?, for example:

I try to show the following sequence of loss and gain


first step in x-axis

increase in y-axis up to 10 and set a point

second step ahead in x-axis

decrease the last point in 2 units

third step ahead in x-axis

increase the last point in 3 units

and so on

  • do you mean stacked bars? If not, can you provide a graphic example?
    – Devin
    May 15 at 1:35
  • 1
    Maybe you mean a waterfall chart?
    – jazZRo
    May 15 at 6:53

1 Answer 1


Based on your description you may mean waterfall chart.

A waterfall chart is a form of data visualization that helps in understanding the cumulative effect of sequentially introduced positive or negative values. These intermediate values can either be time based or category based. The waterfall chart is also known as a flying bricks chart or Mario chart due to the apparent suspension of columns (bricks) in mid-air. Often in finance, it will be referred to as a bridge.

Waterfall chart showing increase and decrease of company profit

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.