Usually seen in self-service chat windows, the user selects the problem area, and it responds with more detailed categories to pin-point the problem, taking the user through a workflow of diagnostics without user needing to type anything. What is this called and are there ready-made tools to design these workflows?

How can I help you today?

  1. Credit card
  2. Banking

And the user usually just have to click on the relevant menu items. I want to design some simple questions to answer colleague's computer problems.

3 Answers 3


These things are usualy called Wizards, or multi-step flows. Nielsen has some recommendations on how to use them.


While a Wizard answers the question correctly. I also think that Conversational User Interfaces with suggested inputs fits the scenario described in the question.

enter image description here

The benefit of this over a wizard would be that, you do not have to worry about the total number of steps (like step 3 of 5). It can be dynamic.


It's called a chatbot (which is a conversational user interface method applied to a wizard, as others have pointed out).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.