Depending on the framework, the name of these ones (buttons, input fields and also non-interactive ones like admonition blocks) is different. I am thinking which term I need to use being the developer of the UI kit ("UI/UX kit"? "GUI kit"?) like Bootstrap or Element UI.

From my view point of the logic, the "GUI components" and "GUI kit" are most correct terms, but I cold be wrong.

2 Answers 2


The term GUI (Graphical User Interface) is an obsolete name from the times of the Command Line

UX/UI Kit is just too ambiguous as it mixes two different fields of design. Also kit (or toolkit) implies a complete package (with docs and code)

I suggest referring to it as a 'UI Components Library' instead:

  • Its subject is clear (i.e. UI components)
  • Library implies it has reusable elements one can tap into

UI does not include only graphical elements but also non-graphical elements like CLI or voice-based interfaces, interactions etc.. while GUI to a type of UI that allows users to interact through graphical elements such as icons, buttons, and windows.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.