In a previous experience, I faced a comparable problem. The challenge was to determine whether a sub-status was critical for the overall user interface or not. If it was deemed essential, we decided to display it as a tooltip.
However, we recognized that this approach was a temporary solution and introduced complexity. As a result, we pursued a more technically robust alternative(See image below)
First, we conducted a thorough analysis of the sub-status and its impact on the user experience. We identified key factors that could influence its relevance and importance.
Next, we revised the user interface design to accommodate the sub-status more effectively. This involved optimizing the layout and enhancing the information hierarchy to ensure that the sub-status received appropriate attention.
We then integrated the sub-status data into the underlying data model and ensured it was efficiently accessible throughout the application.
To improve the user experience, we implemented dynamic tooltips that provided contextual information when users interacted with elements related to the sub-status. This allowed users to access the relevant details without overwhelming the main screen.
Additionally, we performed usability testing and collected user feedback to refine the implementation continuously. This iterative process helped us address any potential issues and make the necessary adjustments.
By adopting this approach, we achieved a more sustainable and user-friendly solution for handling the sub-status, enhancing the overall user experience and usability of the application.