I'm doing User Testing and collecting feedback from users at the end of the task.
Some questions require the user to give a numerical rating on how easy or difficult the task was, would they recommend the product to others, and so on... (1-Strongly disagree, 7-Strongly agree)
I can choose to display this in various ways,
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
I'm wondering if there are studies or research I can read, about how the format of the question affects the results. Things like:
- Does using emoticons result in a overall higher rating compared to numbers?
- Does putting 1 as the Positive option (as opposed to the Negative option) result in more positive feedback?
- How does the scale skew the result? e.g. 1-5 VS 1-7
- Should I start with a value selected by default? Which value should it be?
- How should I format the question if I want the user to rate more positively?
Appreciate if someone can point me to resources.