I designed this UI element. When you want to add a message in a system, platform, product...And you get these options on how to format your text, insert an image, create a hyperlink, etc. So now I want to add it to my UX team's component library. But I can't think of how is this element called. Does it have a common, well-known name and I just don't know it, cause I'm not a native English speaker? Thank you all for your help!

enter image description here

  • The name I've seen is In-Place Editor. When it supports formatting like in your example, Danielillo's answer is correct, it's a Rich Text Editor.
    – Izquierdo
    Commented May 17, 2022 at 19:08

1 Answer 1


Rich-Text Editor

Rich-text editor is the interface for editing rich text within web browsers, which presents the user with a "what-you-see-is-what-you-get" (WYSIWYG) editing area. The aim is to reduce the effort for users trying to express their formatting directly as valid HTML markup.


If you google there's a lot of information about Rich-Text Editors, I chose the Wikipedia definition that is usually the most concise.

  • Thank you so much!!! Yes, that's it, Rich-text Editor or WYSIWYG!
    – Rosebud
    Commented May 17, 2022 at 21:12
  • @izguierdo Thank you! Yes, that's it.
    – Rosebud
    Commented May 17, 2022 at 21:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.