• upgrade your career today in the SO careers advertisement below

alt text

  • the letters PS in the CS4 logo

alt text

How do I tell people that this is what I am talking about. Is there a commonly used name for this text affect that UI designers would use?

  • I don't see a SO careers advertisement. Can you include a link or better yet, a picture? Commented Sep 10, 2010 at 22:25
  • @thursdaysgeek: I have included a picture with the question above. Try reloading the page?
    – Lazer
    Commented Sep 13, 2010 at 14:49

4 Answers 4


It's called the letterpress effect. Here's an article with examples and tutorial and here's a video lesson.


I've also seen it referred to as 'embossed text'.


Ive heard it as:

  • 1
    Inner shadow is a different effect. Cutout text is also a different effect, in the example that you link to it is used in combination with embossed text. Commented Sep 9, 2011 at 14:17

I think it's just called indented text.

Affordable Website Design has a tutorial that describes how to create the effect in Photoshop.

  • Indentation means to move something over to the left as when you indent a paragraph.
    – Warren P
    Commented Mar 5, 2012 at 17:27
  • @WarrenP - true. I was looking for a term that was the opposite of "emboss".
    – ChrisF
    Commented Mar 5, 2012 at 17:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.