What is a common term used to describe the symbol that is used on printers, photocopier and fax machines to start printing? It is square standing on one of its corners with a vertical line inside almost connecting the top and the bottom corner but with some space around. It usually appears on a big green button.

Start button

The only description I could find is at http://www.baddesigns.com/copier.html, calling it “the line in the diamond”. I was however unable to find any name whatsoever. Canon uses this symbol on some of its Pixma line printers (example), but only an icon is used to reference the button.

1 Answer 1


This symbol is listed as IEC 60417-5104 and is called Start [of action] in the ISO/IEC 13251 collection of office symbols. It is commonly swapped with a line inside a circle today.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.