I am currently working on a standard for confirming destructive actions, which I have to split into four levels:
- no confirmation necessary
- a simple dialog that explains what the dangers are
- a dialog that explains the dangers and requires an unusual action to confirm.
Now, level 2 should be more intrusive than level 1, but less than level 3 and it needs to work with touch as well as with mouse and keyboard.
I already implemented an undo function, that's why level 1 exists at all, but my supervisor wants something even more secure.
What are some good patterns to do this?
- Double click is annoying and will lead to spam clicking
- Long press takes too long and is unconventional on desktop
- Having a flyout is a middle ground, as it doesn't excel or suck at any specific thing