Video games often allow the player to configure mouse sensitivity. What is the most intuitive way to represent this setting in the user interface?
- What should the option be called?
- If it is numerical:
- Should high values represent high sensitivity or low sensitivity?
- What should the range be?
- How many decimal places should it have?
- Optionally: what alternative widgets might be a more intuitive fit for the setting than a numeric control?
I am asking this because in the free software video game Blackvoxel the setting is represented in a way that surprised me: 0.5 is twice as sensitive as 1 which in turn is twice as sensitive as 2. This is the opposite of what I expected.
The setting is currently called "mouse factor", has two decimal places and ranges from 0 to infinity
Given how common the mouse sensitivity setting is I assume there is published research on the optimal way to represent it.