There is a type of text input that allows the user to enter an array of items, sometimes with autocomplete, usually adding a new "item" to the list either whenever the user presses space and/or enter. Once an item is entered, it typically goes to the right of the list with a little 'x' by it to quick-delete it if desired.

One example is SE's own "tag" input field:

SE tag input SE 'tag' input

jira input field Another example (from Jira)

Is there a common name for this sort of input? I'm working on a Flutter app where I'd like to use something like this; knowing what it's called would help me Google around to see if someone has already implemented a nice pre-made widget for this purpose. My closest guess is "multiple text input" or "array text input" neither of which really turn up anything.

1 Answer 1


In Material Design, they're called Input Chips. They're driven by terms entered into a text field.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.