Is there a proper term for this type of user interface? I'm looking to research libraries to use for a project, but "connected widgets gui" is so generic, it just brings up results for GUI widgets in general.

I recall seeing the terms "wires" and "ports" used in various places that I've seen this paradigm used before, but again these terms are so generic, and trying to research it is difficult, because all I get are results talking about networking cables etc...

Connected Widgets?

  • Depending on the fidelity, I'd call it a wireflow or a prototype. Not sure if there's a more generic/broadened term for that. Interested in finding out.
    – Izquierdo
    Commented Aug 10, 2021 at 16:58
  • @lzquierdo: What do you mean "fidelity"?
    – loneboat
    Commented Aug 10, 2021 at 17:16
  • A series of wireframes vs a series of UI designs.
    – Izquierdo
    Commented Aug 10, 2021 at 17:26

3 Answers 3


These types of interfaces are commonly referred to as Node Graphs or Node Editors. They are typically used for Visual Programming.



In Axure, this is called "snapshot" where you combine mockups with a traditional flow diagram. Maybe something like "snapshot flow"?


This seems very similar to databases models. The terms that I would search for are graph visualization/ schema diagram design templates.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.