I have a basic user account system through which a user changes their profile picture, username, email and password.
If the user used social login to sign up, they wouldn't have a password in my app.
- A normal user of my app uses an email and password to sign up
- A social login user of my app clicks a social login button such as Facebook, Google or Github at the time of signup and doesn't have a password
- I thought that the whole point of social login was that the person doesn't have to enter a password
- The problem for me starts when the user goes to their account page and tries to update their email
- A normal user will have no trouble updating their email as they just need to re-enter their password
What do I do with a social login user? I can think of a few options:
- Disable update email functionality for social login users until they set a password (show them a link to create a password)
- Let them update their email but open a modal asking them to create a password
- Ask them to create a new different account with an email or password
At the login screen, how will this user now log in without a password?
There is a chance that the new email [email protected] is coming from Facebook because the user opened their Facebook account and changed their email or the user just set it something else that is not used on any of their social accounts.
The user will not be able to login with [email protected] without using a password anymore.
How could I let such a user update their email through the Account page?