I am preparing my first screener survey to recruit some participants for an interview.
I am getting mixed views on if these questions should be open ended or not.
For example, I have the following questions:
- How often do you shop in Townsworth High Street? [Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Never]
- How often do you attend events in Townsworth? [Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Never]
- Do you prefer to “shop local” or support local businesses than a high street chain? [yes, no] (although I know I shouldn't have yes/no questions, but not sure how I can reword this to get people who prefer to shop locally in the interview)
- How often do you read reviews about a shop before visiting? [Always, Sometimes, Less Often, Never]
- How often do you read reviews about a product before purchasing? [Always, Sometimes, Less Often, Never]
Should some of these be open ended questions such as
- Tell me about the events you attend in Townsworth
- Tell me why you prefer to shop local than high street chains
Should I be using open ended questions in the screener survey or leave these until the actual interview?
The NN Group mentions having open ended questions: https://www.nngroup.com/articles/screening-questions-select-research-participants/
Any advice would be great, thanks!