It's 2020 and I wonder: is it fine to have under the Sign-Up form on a website a pre-selected checkbox so the user subscribes to the newsletter to receive updates?
The thing is:
- Newsletters still work quite well, and it's a good way to interact with users and potential customers
- Currently, most people that signs up don't subscribe to the newsletter (the only way to do it would be scrolling until the webpage's footer and enter their email again), so I loose a communication channel there.
- The newsletter sends veryy occasional updates
- By showing the pre-select checkbox, the user can still uncheck it (no hidden things happening)
Also, what copy would be the best:
- "Subscribe to the newsletter"
- "Receive occasional updates on your email"
- ... other?