I’m trying to figure out where to put the Add button on my table view (on iOS). Its purpose is to create a new row in the table view, either inline or using a modal form.
There are 3 common positions for the + button:
- in the navigation bar (contacts, calendar),
- in the toolbar (reminders, mail, notes)
- as the last row of the table view (reminders).
My (weak) guess is that Apple internal guidelines are:
- in the navigation bar when the addition is not the main purpose of the app (contacts and calendar are mostly opened to look at existing entries),
- in the toolbar when the addition is a very common operation (the purpose of reminders is to add things to do, mail and notes to write).
Is there a correct answer?