I'm studying interaction design (via a Swedish uni) so am having some difficulty finding English terms for different interactions and interface designs. Terms like lightbox popup and modal overlays.

A couple of days ago I found myself miserably failing in describing a feature on Amazon (gone now, must have been an A/B test) where, after you add an item to the basket, a window slides out from the right, displaying what's in the basket, and with a button navigating to the checkout page.

*What would I call a function like this?

Q. What I really want to ask though, is if you know of any library where I can find a list of terms and explanations for different types of interactions like this.


I do not know of a comprehensive list, but here are a few relevant articles:


all of the above links as well as https://pttrns.com/ & https://uimovement.com/ to present Interaction mock.

New contributor
Shree is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering. Check out our Code of Conduct.
  • Could you copy and paste the relevant parts into your answer? Link rot and all that. – Mayo Nov 11 at 13:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.