Are there any conventional names for these informational labels?

Here's the link

  • 1
    Sure thing. Based on the kind of answers it's getting, this question might be better suited for the graphic design site. (Don't repost the question, though. I'll migrate the questions and answers together if there are no objections.) Commented Oct 15, 2011 at 15:09
  • I'm fine with that :)
    – hamahama
    Commented Oct 16, 2011 at 5:39

6 Answers 6


I don't know of any generally accepted word for them, but if we are going to keep to the closest analogy in English they would be:

Sash - when it is shown as a piece of fabric across or around an item.

enter image description here

Ribbon - when the end of the ribbon is shown. Many awards are given in this way and they are almost always called ribbons.

enter image description here

  • 1
    A note of caution about using Ribbon though; as Microsoft may have beaten you to it with their Office Ribbon UI.
    – JonW
    Commented Oct 17, 2011 at 8:48

They're all different types of Ribbon. The first one is a wrapping ribbon and the second one is a hanging ribbon. You also find the banner ribbon a lot if you just purely search for 'ribbon'. This ribbon pack is from Code Canyon.

enter image description here

  • Nice that you also provided the link for the pack of ribbons! :)
    – Samuel M
    Commented Feb 10, 2013 at 16:08

I call it ribbon, but I am not aware of an "official" name.


We used to call them a "flash", which was confusing when compared to Adobe flash. It was used for any sort of addition to an image like "sale", "new in" or whatever. It was used irrespective of the style ( the term "sash" implies a particular style, but some clients used strips across the bottom or top or anywhere ).


Good question :) struggled with the same problem when I tried to communicate this to a graphics designer. Ended up just sending a link to an image...

"corner banner"?

  • Haha! So true. I know Themeforest calls it a "sash". Maybe we could think of a name for it.
    – hamahama
    Commented Oct 15, 2011 at 6:12
  • 1
    I like "Sash", I must admit I've seen these more than a few times and never known what to call them.
    – Zelda
    Commented Oct 15, 2011 at 12:31

I call these labels tags. Simply.

  • 2
    If you could elaborate a little and maybe come up with some proof of your answer, it would provide more value to the OP and others reading your answer in the future! Commented Feb 10, 2013 at 20:40
  • If you google Corner Ribbon and Corner Tags, you'd see that results for corner ribbon are somewhat more accurate. Do you have any references?
    – edgarator
    Commented Feb 10, 2013 at 22:57
  • I've heard them refered to as ribbons most often. I think tags could too easily be confused with tags in code, or the code tag of whatever you're pointing to.
    – Eric
    Commented Jun 26, 2013 at 17:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.