Is this called an anchor line? How is this supposed to be called?

d a

  • Crosshair? even if there's a single line? – essdeepee Jul 22 '19 at 14:25
  • 2
    That seems to be what highcharts calls it in that example, and also what I call it in my own charts. – maxathousand Jul 22 '19 at 14:29
  • 1
    They're anchors, unless you need a name for the two points at the same time point? – DarrylGodden Jul 22 '19 at 15:00
  • 1
    Anchors or data points, and gridlines. – Ren Jul 23 '19 at 7:15
  • 1
    Does the line follow your mouse movements? Then you could call it a vertical cursor. – Schmuddi Jul 23 '19 at 9:53

I don't understand how this is a UX question or how this name helps you, but I will explain the functionality anyway.

A crosshair is a pair of perpendicular lines (horizontal and vertical) that move when the mouse is moved or hover some important points on the graphic (depending on the requirements/ implementation). Usually, there are also two labels displayed on the X- and Y-axes in the points where the axes are crossed by the crosshair lines or a tooltip with the data.

Sometimes, a line or a label of the crosshair is hidden - the example from your image.

Maybe this example helps you more (it is more clear the functionality with a crosshair on both axes):

enter image description here

Other examples in charts:

Crosshairs are thin vertical and horizontal lines centered on a data point in a chart. When you, as a chart creator, enable crosshairs in your charts, your users will then be able to target a single element

enter image description here

  • 1
    "I don't understand how this is a UX question or how this name helps you" Perhaps OP wants to refer to it in tool-tips / help-text / documentation. – TripeHound Jul 24 '19 at 12:28
  • @TripeHound A developer will know what to do, how to implement it or what it is. Never a designer sent me this kind of notes with names for every line (I'm also a front-end dev). This is why I added in my answer details about the functionality, that can be useful for UX. The name, not so important, nobody cares. – Madalina Taina Jul 24 '19 at 13:23
  • Without wanting to get bogged-down in a minor detail of a good answer... I never mentioned "developer". I'm talking about a term the user might see either directly in the UI or other documentation. If there is an established term for a particular UI feature (and "cross-hairs" would seem to be the right one here), then using that name can be important and is, I would argue, part of UX/UI (although I am predominately a developer, so not an expert on such matters). – TripeHound Jul 24 '19 at 13:40
  • @TripeHound I understand your point of view. I still don't think the name could help the user or the designer... – Madalina Taina Jul 24 '19 at 13:44
  • How about if someone’s patenting an idea where every single thing needs to be properly described? – essdeepee Jul 26 '19 at 13:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.