I'm designing a mobile app with target users who speak Japanese, Chinese and English.
I tend to use system font instead of distributing fonts with app, because the build size will be large due to those non-Latin characters.
Hence, I encounter the following situation (example),
- Japanese use Android (Roboto/Noto) and browse English article.
- Chinese use iPhone (PingFang / SF Pro family) and browse Chinese article.
However, for better reading experience, line height should be different for each font and its corresponded language.
My first attempt is,
- Design different typography (primary difference is line height) for each supported app language and its corresponded OS (Android / iOS).
- Apply the typography according to app language set by user.
This method is not good in following case,
- A Chinese set the app language to English, but primary browsing Chinese article (percentage of this kind of user is large from our data).
Can anyone share the experience how to handle typography in multi-language supported mobile app?