I have a UI in which I collect user feedback using simple two simple thumbs up/thumbs down icons that appear below the thing being rated. (US users only so no concern about thumbs up being offensive in some countries.)
- At launch, both thumbs-up and thumbs-down icons are unselected and are gray.
- When a user selects thumbs-up, the icon turns green.
- When a user selects thumbs-down, the icon turns red.
- Feedback is not required (i.e., the user can advance to next screen without rating at all).
My question is: What is best practice for clearing mutually-exclusive selected content? Should I allow the user to clear selected content by:
- Re-clicking on a selected icon, thus clearing the color?
- Surfacing a dedicated "Clear" button?
- Something else?
Also looking to provide accessibility here, which I am not an expert in. Thanks in advance.