I'd like to answer it in a different way, far from the point of view of community edition, BUT from the point of view of my experience as an user while using it for the first time. The scenarios explained below would be my journey to use your pseudo UI
- "I'd like to see the what's the color value for let's say an item"
- "Here is the color wheel icon with yellow color, I'd like to click on that"
- I clicked on the wheel and a popup shows the color of the item
- Feeling "Hmm.."
- "Okay, then what's the font size of the item?"
- I'm scrolling the whole section but couldn't find the font size panel
- "Where's that panel!!"
- The popup is showing the color, "I already know it, where's the size panel??"
- I'm scrolling again, but the size panel was supposed to be there!
- "What's this new software trying to explain!"
- "Why the hell this popup still remains open!!??"
- "Be closed the popup! I'm closing you with your 'X' icon"
- Oh crap! the size panel is here! Just behind the open popup! Seriously!
- "This software is not predictable I guess"
Lesson from the journey:-
OPEN something WHEN it's needed
CLOSE something WHEN it's NOT needed.
Your software MIGHT have something important which should be kept open, since you know that, you decide - IF there is something that requires the popup opened all the time?