I have a data table where I present live sensor data for comparison.
- There are atleast 10 columns on the screen at all times and the user can add upto 100 columns by toggling them
- Some columns are fixed and cannot be reordered while others take part in reordering
My current approach
- I am opening a modal inside which each visible column has a number assigned to it
- Editing the numbers would change the column order
- Fixed header numbers cannot be changed
What is the right way to do this?
- Drag and drop columns in the table itself? How does that work with horizontally scrolling long tables
- Open a modal and show all columns in a list format and let people drag and drop items in that list. The list will grow vertically and the modal will need a scroll bar beyond say 20 columns
- Show numbers like my current approach? Are there better approaches I havent considered yet
Some direction will be super appreciated