I'm referring to the fish-eye/magnifier effect applied to app icons as they approach the center of the screen (animation here).

enter image description here

  • I've also heard it referred to as 'Honeycomb' Jan 16, 2019 at 4:16
  • 2
    I have not seen this interaction before so it may be that it is too rare to have a common name for this. But I think magnifier is probably more apt than fish-eye. Jan 16, 2019 at 4:59

1 Answer 1


It's often referred to as a 'pan and zoom' pattern.

You can pan across apps, and zoom in as needed to app 'groups', to make selection easier.

As @Greg Whitham correctly mentions, the layout has been referred to as a 'honeycomb', but I'm just referring to the interaction itself.

  • You're right that this is a zooming interface but I think the OP is referring to the way in which the objects at the center of the screen are magnified automatically. Jan 16, 2019 at 5:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.