Example one.

Example two.

Example three.

When a user is allowed to add/remove additional fields (or field groups) within a form, what is this interface paradigm called?

EDIT: in the example screenshots, each "row" of field(s) can be added/removed by the user, building up a list of "things".

There's a separate question about this type of input paradigm (Allowing the user to add input fields). It's asking about design/workflow, but not the name of the pattern. However, all/most of the screen examples on that question are relevant examples for my question

  • why? what on earth is the use case?
    – colmcq
    Commented Nov 12, 2018 at 11:17
  • @colmcq I've edited my question to add a little more information. Also have a look at the screen examples in this comment on another thread ux.stackexchange.com/a/92892/120623 I'm not asking if one "should" use this paradigm. I'm simply asking if it has a common name
    – Andy Ford
    Commented Nov 12, 2018 at 12:56
  • are you really just allowing the user to 'add object'? That's what it feels like.
    – colmcq
    Commented Nov 12, 2018 at 13:14
  • @colmcq I don't see why you're having such an issue with his question.
    – Big_Chair
    Commented Nov 12, 2018 at 14:09
  • @big_chair As I see it: OP is asking the name of the pattern for when you add an object to a table of objects. That's how I see this.
    – colmcq
    Commented Nov 12, 2018 at 15:10

1 Answer 1


I think the closest that you'll come to an exact name for this is either

Dynamic or Expandable Forms

Found these references for that:

Another pattern for Dynamic/Expanding forms?

dynamic form design

UI Patterns: expandable input (this one is only weakly connected to our case here but it still conveys a similar thought)

  • I see the first two as good examples; the last one....not sure at all
    – colmcq
    Commented Nov 12, 2018 at 15:17
  • Thanks for the input! (see what I did there?) As names/labels alone, I think these all feel very general in a not entirely wrong kind of way. I was hoping for something a little more specific/descriptive, but I think this is headed in the right direction.
    – Andy Ford
    Commented Nov 13, 2018 at 15:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.