So I'm going through a legacy product trying to establish some standards and one of the things I'm noticing is that there a ton of different icons for viewing things.
Is it better to have ONE "view" icon for everything? Or should the icon be tailored to each specific case (they use font awesome), which can be tricky because there isn't always an appropriate icon.
For example, we have:
- View Record (generic list icon)
- View History (generic grid icon)
- View Template (plus sign, I don't know why)
- View Pledge (generic list icon)
- View all batches (magnifying glass with plus sign)
- View all status updates (magnifying glass with plus sign)
- View Linked Record (eye)
Often these icons reside in a table column as well, so there can't be a lot of descriptive text. What is considered best practice/standard for this sort of thing?