I have the following UI, which on the face of it is fairly simple, but I've been going around in circles trying to find a satisfactory layout. This is my effort so far:
- The "P2 Pressure" at the top will display a read-only, numeric value in the blue box.
- The "Add single" button requires a valid value in the first textbox
- The "Add for Set P2" button requires a valid value in both textboxes
- The "close valves" and "pump out" buttons start actions that don't require any input
- The "abort" button is enabled while one of the previous four actions is running (each of which can take several seconds)
- Finally, a status message will appear along the bottom of the window to display a summary of the currently running action
Colours and styles aside, I'm looking for suggestions on how I could improve the layout, particularly the middle section where it perhaps isn't obvious which textbox is used by which button. I was wondering whether to group the first textbox with the first button, and group both textboxes (which would include a duplicate of the first) with the second button?
This is a desktop application by the way, if that makes a difference.