Let's imagine that I have a list of documents that each are associated with an employee. I want to be able to filter by employee, so that I only see the documents associated with that person.
Each employee is either located in North America or Europe.
I would like to be able to be able to:
- Select from a list of all employees
- Select from a list of only the employees located in North America
- Select from a list of only the employees located in Europe
We have come up with two possible solutions for this problem:
- Use radios to enable a select with the list of employees. This seems fairly clear (?), but is taking up a lot of screen space.
- Have a single select whose options are updated depending on the selected radio option:
Which is the better solution? Why? Are there alternatives that would be more user friendly?