Many mobile apps implement this type of design.

These imgur screenshots show the sliding navbar for a youtube channel. Is there a proper name for this design?

enter image description here

1 Answer 1


The pattern, as it appears here in the YouTube mobile app, is based on Google's Material Design language.

That navigation element is called a 'Tab Bar'

And the scrolling version is called a 'Scrolling Tab Bar'

See diagrams on this page for reference: https://material.io/guidelines/components/tabs.html#tabs-usage

  • This is not a pattern based on Google's design language. It's older than that, and been used in other mediums (PCs, Web) long before smartphones.
    – Confused
    Commented Mar 7, 2018 at 6:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.