What is the proper term for a vertical line on a visualization that follows a mouse cursor?

Nb, screenshots have removed my mouse cursor but it exists on the same vertical plane as the dot in the second figure in both visualizations.

vertical line mouse cursor

What is the name of a point on a visualization that follows a mouse cursor?

dot following vertical position of cursor

Both are supplementary mouse cursors, but do they have a canonical name?

Please tell me if these questions should be split into two or better suited for a different SE site.

  • I cannot think of well-accepted terms for the first. I will note that (1) on a timeline, the vertical bar would be the playhead, and (2) the intersecting value is a simply a "data label", but it happens to be a data label with a varying position. Perhaps a "data inspector"?
    – Phrogz
    Sep 20, 2017 at 20:52

1 Answer 1


They are often referred in high charts as x-axis crosshairs.

Also in Zing Chart

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.