Can anyone suggest the best way to represent this workflow for managing a large data migration which requires a manual FTP stage on the customer end? I am thinking a wizard to take us up to the FTP stage then a table with an updating status.
The steps are:
- We create a migration job in our admin UI capturing job name, size and some other details
- The customer is then instructed via email to start uploading their zipped data using FTP details that we provide.
- The customer informs us that they are finished uploading the data
- We click a button to start the pre-processing/indexing of the data stage so that it can be verified. Once complete we send a verification link to the customer which takes them to a search UI allowing them to run searches on the indexed data to verify it is correct.
- The customer clicks a 'I verify this data is correct' link from the search UI
- We then manually start the import job by clicking a button in the admin UI
- The import job then takes a couple of hours to complete depending on the amount of data to import
- Once complete we are able to preview a report of all the files and errors of the import
What I don't like are all the manual steps involved in this current workflow. Having to wait until certain manual actions are finished and then having to click buttons to proceed. I worry that people will be clicking buttons before they are ready to be clicked. If anyone can suggest a good mechanism for this it would be much appreciated.