Does it have a common terminology? How do you enable a user to use this feature and inform him that he/she can use it. Whats the highlighted element called?

  • Is this some sort of mailshot software? Does the highlighted element represent a value from a database or something the user must add? Commented Jul 12, 2017 at 12:17
  • Yea, this is intercom and the highlighted element represents a value from the database. In this scenario, we are bulk mailing a set of customers and the highlighted element will be replaced by the customers name when the mail reaches the customers mailbox.
    – Nahush Dc
    Commented Jul 12, 2017 at 12:24

1 Answer 1


On a technical level, this is a variable or keyname.

On an interface level, this is an inline button (that I suspect may also be some kind of dropdown / select menu, but I could be wrong).

On a graphic level, this is a pill, or rounded rectangle. While such elements don't always imply interactivity, shape is one of many common ways to set content apart visually, which is a key element in making interaction discoverable. The colors and borders also contribute. Here's a concise article on making click targets discoverable.

  • On a user level, it might be a placeholder.
    – Schmuddi
    Commented Jul 15, 2017 at 6:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.