I am working on 2d selection widget that should be optimal for touch and mouse modality equally.
The widget goal is to change two different properties of a primitive(can be any shape - a circle or square). The selection along each axis would directly effect the appearance of primitive signifying the current result of selection from both axises.
Go with buttons and change property along each axis when button is clicked, e.g. button up/down changes available colours of shape and button left right changes border style.
- Better usage in terms of Fitts law: bigger selection areas and at distance are good for touch devices.
- Can handle any resolution of selections
- No drag support and selecting between long lists might be tedious
Go with sliders and change selection based on drag of each selection.
- Drag is faster for quick selections when resolution of selection list is higher
- Acceptable usability in terms Fitts law.
- Selection might be too sensitive when selection list is long i.e. high resolution of selection list.
Which approach is better for this task? Also if there is a better way of doing it please feel free to suggest.