What is a counter with slot-machine-like animation called?

Similar to this counter:

But with this kind of animation and look:

What would this be called? *I know how to implement it, just not sure about the correct name.

  • A counter with slot machine effect?
    – Asjon
    Commented Mar 28, 2017 at 9:32
  • Why close this? It is perfectly reasonable to want to know what a ui-element is named. Not everyone is a native English speaker.
    – AturSams
    Commented Mar 28, 2017 at 9:41
  • Read our How to Ask page - it tells you what is an acceptable question. SO is for programming questions. If you want the name of an UI element in English, you could either go to the English language Stack Exchange or the UX Stack Exchange. This has very little (if any) to do with programming
    – ochi
    Commented Mar 28, 2017 at 9:47
  • Good point. Can this question be migrated to UX stack exchange?
    – AturSams
    Commented Mar 28, 2017 at 9:48
  • 2
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_counter Commented Mar 28, 2017 at 13:49

1 Answer 1


It is called a rolling-numbers counter (not turning or spinning). You can find an existing example here (Odometer):

  • 1
    That last bit of linked code provides a nice bit of simulation of the 'bounce' of a real slot machine, - so to be more accurate you could add "rolling numbers counter with slot machine affect"
    – PhillipW
    Commented May 28, 2017 at 6:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.