I have seen both a 'mouseover' and a 'hoverover' referring to the same thing - but it is not clear if there is a difference.

Is there a functional difference between the two terms, or are they identical in meaning?

closed as off-topic by Izhaki, locationunknown, Midas, Matt Obee, JonW Mar 29 '17 at 15:33

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions about Implementation are off-topic because this site is for User Experience design questions, not questions around how to implement these designs. Therefore, questions around the use of programs like Photoshop or languages such as CSS or JavaScript are off topic." – locationunknown, Midas, Matt Obee, JonW
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • How is this a UX question? – Izhaki Mar 29 '17 at 0:30

From documentation

Bind an event handler to the "mouseover" JavaScript event, or trigger that event on an element.

Meaning only when the mouse is over an element.

Bind one or two handlers to the matched elements, to be executed when the mouse pointer enters and leaves the elements.

Calling $(selector).hover(handlerIn, handlerOut) 

is shorthand for:


A lot of times, these terms are used together because they describe what should happen when a user places their mouse over an element. How will this element look like? But if you want to talk to a developer, it is nice to know the difference.

This is a good explanation with examples

The hover() function is more high level - it's built to call functions to handle both a mouseenter event and a mouseleave event. It's very convenient for a UI element that has a hover and normal state (e.g. a button.)

The mouseover() function specifically binds to the mouseover event. It's best for situations where you only care when the mouse has crossed the border into an element and you don't really care what happens if it leaves. It's also the function to call when you want to trigger the event on some element.

From Quora

  • Good answer. Alas - it is only good for JQuery. – Izhaki Mar 29 '17 at 0:29

Is there a functional difference between the two terms, or are they identical in meaning?

I think it depends upon who is talking. Most end users will use them interchangeably - which makes sense. As a non-techie a mouseover is basically hovering over the item which causes some "thing" to happen.

However, to someone who write javascript, the two have different meanings.

The .hover() method binds handlers for both mouseenter and mouseleave events. You can use it to simply apply behavior to an element during the time the mouse is within the element.

See: api.jquery.com/hover/

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.