Greet the new StackOverflow header. Sometime you'll get it too.
At the first look it seems like typical modern headers for touch-orientated sites.
But let's for a minute forget about that and check for its's functionality.
Help? We don't need help any more!
Actually it is moved to footer, but I found it there only via Ctrl+F
Badges? Just forget. Can't find them even in footer.
Logo as link to Main Page? Shrink it to fit tags and users!
As a user I much more use main page than tags page and users page. Why should they be more important to fully write them and shrink logo into an icon?
By the way, it is different for not registered or novice user
only experiensed users should have difficulties
3 icons of 4 will open a dropdown, but one icon in the middle will navigate to the other page. FIXED: 4 dropdowns now.
And they all require click to work.
Also this icon doesn't belong this block semantically. It's Review queue - leads to site page, not to some user-specific information.
Yes, I much more navigate between sites then to users and tags.
But now it's a small icon on the other side of the header.
There are tons of reasons to use it:
- I'm on meta and want to go to the main site
- I came to answer, not to ask and searching for interesting questions
- English isn't my native language and I want to ask on other site or on both sites
Why are some question-askers active on both English and Russian Stack Overflows?
- I came to SO, but decided that Superuser better fits my question
- I switch site by the association link and want to switch it back
- I saw something on the main site and want to discuss it on meta
- And much more
Search? Center it!
Not sure if it's bad, but it's very unusual as on most sites it's on the right side.
So am I wrong and is this design is good??? What am I missing in that case? Or am I right?
PS: Sorry for bold font, but otherwice it's difficult to distinguish question text and screenshots.