Background: By default, Android will dim the screen after some time, then after another few minutes switch it off completely.
I’m working on an Android app which allows the user to disable and restore this behavior. That is, one action will make the screen stay at full brightness until the device runs out of power, the other one will revert to the default behavior (bright→dimmed→off). This setting will take effect regardless of which application happens to be in the foreground. Internally, this is done by acquiring a
What would be good terms to describe these two actions? I came up with those:
To keep the screen at full brightness:
- Force screen to stay on at full brightness
- Keep screen on at full brightness
- Prevent screen from dimming or turning off
To revert to default behavior:
- Allow screen to dim or turn off (which may be incorrect, as other apps may still keep the screen on)
However, I’m still not happy with those. What would be a good wording for those two actions, clearly understandable and as short as possible?
Edit: There seems to be some misunderstanding regarding my question and how Android controls screen brightness, hence I’ll explain that in more detail:
- The user can set the screen brightness to either a fixed value, or have the phone choose screen brightness based on ambient light, or a combination of both. This sets the brightness an app will have while the user is interacting with it. I’m referring to this as full brightness, even though it is not necessarily the maximum brightness the display is capable of producing.
- Unless a certain type of wakelock or flag for the foreground activity are in place, Android will dim the screen after a minute or two.
- After some more time, Android will turn off the screen—again, unless one of the above are in place and only if the “Keep screen on while charging” setting is not checked.
What I’m trying to implement is a feature to inhibit the above behavior and force the screen to maintain full (i.e. user selected) brightness, without dimming after some time and without turning off. This will be event-driven, i.e. the user can choose to enable and disable this feature when certain events occur, therefore I need some descriptive text for both actions.