The problem is not on the filters, but on the selected entities list. The user need to do; filtering, then selection, then do another filtering saving the previous selection.
There is an alternative to show two lists, one with selected elements and the other with all elements? (see images)
This is a complex problem, let me try to explain and give as much info as I can.
Context: platform and users
I'm working (as a one man army UX) on an existing platform that moves millions of € every month. So changes need to be made very carefully.
Users manage one kind of entity, every entity has a detail view with a lot of data. Some data is sensitive, like taxes (affect payments), but an entity could have it blank while others don't.
Right now we need to improve the way they edit that entities, giving the user the ability to edit many at the same time.
We didn't have it until now because it's dangerous to change many at the same time, but we were blocked by an important client so we need to hurry and add this functionality (think of it as a block by google if you live on adwords)
The need: interface changes
The logical place to add this multiple selection is in the "entity list", where user manage their entities by filtering and editing individually (big users manage thousands)
demanded flow (by users and bosses):
- select some elements
- more filtering
- more selection, adding this second to the saved previous selection
- click action1 or action2 button (goes to another screen with selected entities list and the field of the elements to change)
elements to add:
- checkboxes for entity selection
- "select all" checkbox (something like gmail selection)
- an additional list to the entities list, with the selected elements
- 2 buttons with the main actions (there are two "edit all" options)
- an explanatory text about the importance and perils of the changes
Right now I have this
And My first approach is this (WIP)
There is an alternative to show two lists, one with selected elements and the other with all elements?
They will probably accept bright ideas, but I don't have any right now.
Thanks in advance. Feel free to edit the description if it's not clear enough.
edited to emphasise in the real problem