enter image description here

This proprietary select box is an example of a UI element I'm wanting to add.

The essence of it is:

  1. Only one item can be selected
  2. It's designed for touch devices - you swipe upward to scroll down the list.

What do you call these style select boxes, for the purposes of googling?


This type UI element is called "Picker". Mostly used in iOS Mobile App. CLICK HERE for more.

enter image description here

  • 10
    The 3D effect allows me to quickly see that it is scrollable. The image in the OP does not give me this insight. – Stephan Bijzitter Dec 26 '16 at 12:35
  • 3
    @Coxy why is it? Apple use it themselves in many of their apps. – Tim Dec 26 '16 at 13:44
  • 2
    @Tim: One way the picker is annoying (as a user) is that it's often inconsistent. For example, this blood type picker is annoying because the options aren't sorted; I'm not sure if I should scroll up or down. Additionally, some pickers wrap around to the other end, while others don't. I'm not sure if I'd blacklist the entire concept of the picker as harmful, but every time I see one (as a user) I feel annoyed because it takes me a minute to figure out which way to scroll and whether things wrap. /rant – Cornstalks Dec 26 '16 at 14:55
  • 1
    In Android, pickers don't use that 3d effect and they can have Action buttons: image – Alvaro Dec 26 '16 at 16:01
  • 2
    Not everything Apple uses is good. Personally I don't like the picker. For example to select time, the new dialog in Android is much quicker than scrolling and selecting hour/min/sec separately – phuclv Dec 26 '16 at 16:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.